Multiple Research Scientist positions are available at the University of Washington Center for Data Science located at the UW Tacoma campus for outstanding researchers to conduct applied social good oriented multidisciplinary research in areas including:
Bioinformatics (with Prof. Ka Yee Yeung), Data Science (Prof. Senjuti Basu Roy), Geospatial Informatics & Mobile Computing (Prof. Mohamed Ali and Prof. Ling Ding), Healthcare Analytics (Prof. Ankur Teredesai), and Machine Learning & Computational Intelligence (Prof. Martine De Cock).
The Research Scientist will work with this collaborative team on multiyear funded projects with access to real-world datasets, well-known industry partners, and a track-record of deployed applications. The team comprises of faculty and postdocs publishing at high impact venues, and highly-talented engineers with significant industry experience leading to innovate demonstrable solutions. Our culture encourages recent Masters and Ph.D.s to develop an interest in growing both their engineering skills to handle large datasets and bring an entrepreneurial spirit to work on societal data science.
The current projects involve:
1. The underlying theme of our computational biology projects is to develop machine learning methods for the mining of big ‘omics’ data in biology. Our overarching goal is to develop personalized medicine that uses genetic information to tailor therapy for individual patients. Collaboration with an interdisciplinary team (e.g. clinicians and biologists) is an essential component in our projects.
2. Health Care Analytics effort focuses on advancing the state of the art through development of advanced algorithms as well as deployment of real world tools that can be applied effectively across a number of users scenarios.
3. A mobile ad-hoc network is an infrastructure-less network consisting of wireless-capable mobile devices moving freely and independently from other wireless devices in the same network. Due to the low node density and unstable network topology in this type of networks, end-to-end routing is impossible. Mobility-assisted data access technique becomes a practical choice. This project is to study how to achieve efficient data dissemination in mobile ad-hoc networks. Candidates with background of game theory, networking, algorithm, and GIS are welcome.
4. The Healthcare Big Data Stack project leverages open-source technologies for solving challenging issues in database management and data mining for varied and complex healthcare data including claims data, clinical data, patient encounter data as well as us government datasets to enable machine learning researchers to rapidly prototype healthcare applications that help save costs and provide robust predictive analytics for chronic diseases.
· A recent Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, specialized in the above areas, or any physical sciences with a strong background in mathematics and computing.
· Demonstrated expertise in solving challenging problems in one or more of the above areas.
· Preference given to candidates with interest in applying their skills in multidisciplinary application domains.
· Demonstrated expertise in technical writing as evidenced by publication record.
· Strong interpersonal communication skills and ability to interact with peers as well as students.
· Ability and interest to conduct independent yet collaborative research.
· conducting innovative research.
· managing project goals and driving outcomes.
· writing high-quality research papers.
· participating in writing and applying for grants.
· mentoring and teaching undergraduate and graduate students.
The Institute of Technology which is the academic home for the Center for Data Science at UW Tacoma has a well-established computer science, computer engineering and Information Technology curriculum and provides excellent small-classroom environment and access to expert teaching focused faculty as mentors to new teachers to help develop and grow teaching skills.
*Salary and title is commensurate with experience
Duration: One year with the possibility of renewal
Please send a CV, short research statement, and list of references to email@example.com and be sure to include the string "CDS [$Your_Area of Expertise$] at the beginning of your subject line.